2019 RHODY AWARD WINNERS
For more information please click on images above or the links below.
International Tennis Hall of Fame
Opened in 1880, the Newport Casino was the premier setting for sport and socializing in Gilded Age Newport. Designed by McKim, Mead and White, the campus featured shops, dining, lodging, and leisure facilities. The first U.S. National Lawn Tennis Championships (US Open) took place here in 1881. When the Casino’s future seemed uncertain in the early 1950s, Casino president Jimmy Van Alen offered a new vision. As home to the National Lawn Tennis Hall of Fame (1954), the Casino would become a shrine to tennis, balancing a reverence for history with the urge to stay current. Over the years, preservation projects like restoring the Horseshoe Piazza and rehabbing the Casino Theatre have alternated with investments in the athletic facilities. A strong educational mission drives innovations at the museum, and the Information Research Center beckons scholars of the game. As steward of the Newport Casino— "the most important item in our collection"—the International Tennis Hall of Fame is a true champion of preservation.