Who We Are
To protect Rhode Island's historic structures and unique places for present and future generations.
Promote the stewardship of Rhode Island's distinctive local character and vibrant communities. We envision:
- Rhode Islanders appreciating the economic and social benefits of preserving historic structures and unique places;
- Rhode Islanders living in vital cities, towns and villages where new growth and development complement historic centers;
- Rhode Islanders advancing environmentally friendly choices, reusing old buildings and conserving the landscape; and
- All of us leaving the legacy of an authentic and beautiful Rhode Island to future generations.
Our Five Strategies
- Advise: To provide preservation information, assistance and workable alternatives to protect Rhode Island's historic structures and unique places
- Connect: To convene, connect and strengthen community preservation organizations
- Advocate: To encourage community leaders, developers, public officials and property owners to make decisions that favor historic preservation and land conservation
- Foster: To expand opportunities for everyone to understand, enjoy and appreciate Rhode Island's rich and diverse heritage
- Steward: To preserve the properties under our care and assist other owners to sustain their stewardship of Rhode Island's special places