The story at a glance....
Built between 1846 and 1889, Hazard Castle is a Gothic Revival landmark, accented by an imposing 105' tower set in an estate landscape in the heart of Narragansett. In 2007 the Diocese of Providence put the property up for sale. While hopeful that prospective buyers will be respectful of the building and its pastoral setting, they have declined to impose preservation restriction or require a land conservation easement. View the poster for more details.
Go to the Friends of Hazard Castle website at www.friendsofhazardcastle.org to learn more about the property and how you can help!
The property is for sale and listed with Lila Delman Realtors of Narragansett. If you are interested in more information about purchasing this property, please contact Melanie Delman at 789-6666. View the listing.
June 2009 Narragansett Town Council votes to create four local historic districts. The districts will include the Central Street area, sections of Ocean Road, and corridors. Read more in the South County Independent.
3.20.2010 Friends of Hazard Castle launch new website: http://www.friendsofhazardcastle.org/
3.29.2010 What has been accomplished and what can you do to help!
- Historic districting approved
- Friends of Hazard Castle grassroots neighborhood advocate group has incorporated as a non-profit organization
- Conceptual Site Map has been drafted for respectful use of the property* for the community
- Volunteers/Host or Sponsor a Fundraising Event
- Earn community service credits - young adult volunteers (scholastic, boy/girl scouts, church youth groups)
- Business Plan in process*
- Create a ripple effect, tell your friends
- Please donate today (Time Sensitive*)
- Together We Can Save Hazard Castle! Make Checks Payable to Friends of Hazard Castle and mail to Friends of Hazard Castle, c/o The Washington Trust Company, 20 Point Judith Road, Narragansett, RI 02882
* For More Information Please Contact John Shaw: firstname.lastname@example.org or h 401-792-3335 c 401-862-7840
4.23.2010 Two plans emerge for Hazard property - South County Independent
"It might become a wellness center. A tennis center. A private residence. A subdivision. A boutique resort and spa..."
4.25.10 Hazard Castle site in Narragansett, RI, subject of new interest - Providence Journal
"Two different plans to reuse Hazard Castle on Ocean Road have emerged from individuals hoping to raise money to buy and preserve the property..."
6.16.10 Run to benefit Friends of Hazard - Narragansett Times
"Incorporated as a non-profit organization only three short months ago, the Friends of Hazard Castle (FOHC) is starting to hit its stride in making progress. Literally..."